Friday, August 29, 2008

Joshua's First Day of Kindergarten

My kids are just growing up in the blink of an eye. I have a kindergartener! Me. And since it's full day kindergarten, Joshua's gone all day long. I would probably be crying tears of sorrow at the thought of him being gone for the full day (he's been going to preschool for three hours a day since he was three years old), but with this rough move and transition, I was nearing tears of joy. Joshua just needs structure, routine, and is literally addicted to academics--this is just better off for the both of us. I do admit, I was a little nervous--he is being integrated into a typical kindergarten classroom...but the staff seems wonderful and we had such a fantastic FANTASTIC special education staff in Lawrence to prepare him for school, it made me feel a little better. Here's a handsome picture of our little man. He told me he didn't want a picture, he just wanted to head straight to school. (And yes for the ultra-observent people out there--I am wearing a coat, and Joshua is wearing jeans and a hoodie on the first day of school)

10 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger heidi said...

jeans and hoodies and jackets??? you must be in hog heaven!!!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Anne Marie said...

Some kids really thrive in a school setting with very predictable routines, etc. My oldest really is so much happier when he is in school. I can't believe it's chilly enough for jackets. That does sound pretty nice right now since it's been 90-plus here for months.

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Don't you love all day kindergarten? Kevin is in all day kindergarten here in Virginia. I wasn't too sure about it at first, but like you, having just moved it was such a blessing. He just finished week three and he loves it. He really needed the routine. He was so bored at home without any friends. I am glad you guys are getting settled in. I may contact you soon about survival tips while your husband is in school. I think it is going to be a long 6-7 years. :)

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Sarah S said...

I'm so happy for you and Joshua!! He looks so cute and ready for kindergarten. We have full-day kindergarten here too... I think overall it's a good thing. But I get sad even now (though this is years away) thinking of Eli being gone that whole time! I am glad it's such a great thing for Joshua though - and can completely understand the need for routine and structure. That will be great!!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Katrina said...

You'll sure get some good Mom and Whitney time. I need and enjoy the structure school brings to my life and the boy's lives. Wish our kindergarten was all day here. Parker is in 1st grade now and LOVES it. He pretty much self taught himself to read this summer and LOVES it, even wakes up at 6:30 in the morning just to read.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Chad and Amy Jensen said...

That's exciting! I always love the start of the school year. I'm sure that Joshua will do great in his new class!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger 0 said...

congratulations on having an anniversary, a birthday, and a kindergartener...WOW what a summer you have had...are you having fun just you and whitney...p.s. your kids a WAY cute
caryn

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Yay, Joshua!!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I'm glad you like his teachers- Joshua will do great!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger April said...

He is such a handsome little dude! How is school going for him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home