Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday morning update

Well we made it through last night and we are still here. Our car is packed to go. Our washer, dryer, freezer are all on the main level. I guess we're lucky since we've lived in a 2 bedroom apartment for the last 7 years, all our stuff fits on the upper level. We're just keeping our eyes on the news. What they do is suggest evacuation and then after a few hours make it mandatory. As soon as we hear "evacuation" for our area, we're outta here. We'll let you know when we evacuate.

On a side note, here are some of the things you "feel" in a emergency situation.

Tired. It's amazing--like up all night with baby tired--x100, but somehow your adrenaline keeps you going. Muscles ache. I woke up at least 10 times last night thinking I heard something.

Dirty. Very dirty. We plugged our drains in the basement 4 days ago, so that means no clean clothes. Period. And sandbagging for 4 days straight makes you very dirty. I took a shower this morning, but as the city said, "the water may smell and taste earthy, but it is still okay to drink." It smells like Tucks pads. I don't feel clean at all.

The kids are doing very well. They've been keeping themselves busy. I'm just worried about them though. Especially Joshua. When we moved here and then went to Utah for a week after, it took him about 4 months to recover. I can't imagine what it would be like if he couldn't get back to his routine for months. I saw what one week did, and it was horrible.

Thank you thank you for your prayers. It's so humbling to see everyone praying for us.

3 Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sarah S said...

Oh Sarah! It is so interesting reading about how you are feeling as you go through this emergency situation. Where will you evacuate to if you need to? I know Chicago isn't exactly around the corner, but know that you are welcome to come if you need to.

I'll be praying for you guys and watching the news reports. Hang in there!!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Leah and Alex said...

Sarah!!!
after hearing about the flooding in Fargo you came to mind and I thought to write you. I can't believe that the water level is so high. I guess you don't have to worry about tornado's anymore, but now you have a new condition to worry about. I'm glad to read that you are doing well and find yourselves in a relatively good situation. You know you are always welcome in Lawrence. I'm sure it wouldn't take Joshua very long to adjust, right? :) We will be praying for you and the family that all will work out and that you will find safety during this time.

We send our love :)

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Liz L said...

Duh! I never occured to me that your water usage would be affected during a time like this - which totally changes your routines. I can't imagine what this kind of a situation would be like. Hang in there!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home